This is a lighter, simpler version of the Philippine national dish. Serve with rice.
Make 4 serving Prep and cook time 45 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 6 skinned bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then turn over and cook an additional 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tbsp. of pan drippings and return pan to low heat. Add garlic and sauté until soft, about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate. Return chicken to pan and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to medium-low and cook 15 to 20 minutes more, occasionally spooning sauce over chicken, until sauce thickens a bit and chicken is tender and nicely glazed with sauce. Remove bay leaf before eating.