Serve 4 Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 45 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, smashed, peeled and chopped
- 2 large poblano chiles, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth (preferably organic)
- One 15 to 16-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- Assorted garnishes, such as chopped onion, shredded white Cheddar, chopped tomatoes and/or sour cream, or tortilla chips and/or pico de gallo.
- Heat the oil in a heavy, large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, poblanos, celery and onions. Saute until the vegetables soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the turkey and saute until no longer pink, breaking up the turkey with the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over and stir to blend.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cinnamon and cloves. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to blend.
- Add the broth and beans. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the flavors blend and the chili thickens to desired consistency, stirring often, 20 to 30 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper.
- Serve with garnishes.