- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 cup cut-up trimmed fresh asparagus or chopped broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped red or yellow sweet pepper
- 3 whole grain English muffins, torn or cut into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
- 2 cups shredded smoked chicken or cooked chicken breast (10 oz.)
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese ( Gruyere cheese is better )
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, and pepper; cook about 3 minutes or just until vegetable are crisp-tender.
- Lightly coat casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Divide half of the English muffin pieces in the dish. Top with the chicken, asparagus mixture, and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Top remaining English muffin pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly over the layers in dish. Using the back of a large spoon, press muffin pieces down. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cover; chill 2 to 24 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 325 degree. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in centers comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.