Serve 16 slices
Prep: 30 minutes Bake: 40 minutes Cool: 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spic
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mashed cooked peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup chopped pecan, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degree. Lightly coat 8x4x2 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, egg, sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir in sweet potatoes.
- Add sour cream mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in dates and pecans. Spon batter into pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely.
Steamed kabocha squash is a favorite of mine — it’s one of the most flavorful squashes around, and is chock full of nutrients like beta carotene (especially when you eat the thin skin).
I mashed the cooked kabocha with a fork and bake the bread substituting mashed squash for the mashed sweet potatoes. It came out so good! Try it!