serves 4 to 6 prep: 10 minutes cook: 20 minutes
1 lb Baby Potatoes (about 30)
1 1/2 Cups kelp broth
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Mirin (rice wine)
1 tsp sesame seed oil
1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 5 cups water
- 4 inch lengh of dried sea kelp
- Clean about 30 small baby potatoes. Drain the water. ( do not remove the skin).
- In a medium pot, boil the 5 cups of water on high. Turn off the heat when the water starts to boil, then add dried kelp; let it cool.
- Place a large sauce pan (shallow pan) on the stove, add 1 1/2 cups of kepl broth, soy sauce, sugar, Mirin. Stir to blend ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the sauce starts to boil, add baby potatoes, then reduce heat to medium and continue boiling (uncovered), turning occasionally until caramelized for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- After a minute or so, you will notice that they might have begun to stick to the bottom of the pan and turn dark in color. This is okay--in fact, it's what should happen. Continue stirring and watch as the potatoes' color turns darker and darker, also the sauce forms bubles bigger and bigger.
- When finished, potatoes are tender and the liquid has evapolated, and they are nicely glazed; add sesame seed oil, sesame seed. Let it cool and serve.