- 2.5 - 3 lbs Ox Knee Bone with meat attached.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 stalk Korean leek (dae-pa), washed, cut into 3 large pieces for soup
- 10 black peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
- salt, pepper to taste
- noodle, Korean red pepper flakes - optional
- 1 lb beef brisket -optional
- Immerse the bones and any meat in cold water for 2 hours to take out the excessive blood from the bones.
- Remove the bones, meat and put in a deep large pot; adding enough cold water up to cover bones.
- Bring up to a rapid boil (about 10 minutes), uncovered, then remove pot from heat; take the bones out from the pot, then drain the water and rinse the bones in cold water.
- Put the bones in a cleaned pot again; add cold water (about 12 cups) again until the bones is submerged.
- Add daepa, bay leaf, black peppercorns, garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer for 4 hours. During boiling, skim the impurities and fat that rise to the top once in a while.
- Turn the heat off , then remove the bones and any meats from the broth and put in a container. Discard vegetables then strain and reserve the broth to the pot.
- Remove any meat and cartilage attached to bones - it should be soft enough to be manually taken off from the bones. Reserve the meat and cartilage and put the bones (no meat attached) back into the pot.; bring to a boil, then simmer for another 3 hours or more, keep adding water a couple more times; each time when you add water, turns up the heat to medium high to boil the broth again, then simmer again to maintain at least 1 gallon (16 cups) of broth in the pot. repeat this step until the broth becomes rich and milky. Skim the top often.
- In mean time, slice the meat thinly against the grain and cartilage to chunk size.
- Remove from heat. and discard the bones, cool down to room temperature then chill it in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the fat that rose and solidified on top. Underneath the fat layer, you should find gelatinous broth, which is caused by collagen extracted from the bones.
- for serving, heat up the broth with the reserved meat and cartilage. Serve with rice, sliced green onion, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes with kimchi.
* Noodles are optional, but if you like, boil the noodles for 5-8 minutes, drain and set aside
* If you wish you can also serve the extra meat pieces separately with a dipping sauce (Mix 1 tsp wasabi, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp vinegar).