Serve 4 Prep: 10 mins cook: 10 mins.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek, optional
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 (One 8-ounce can) water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 4 slices Cheddar
- 4 seeded burger buns
- 1/4 cup mayo mixed with 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 4 slices beefsteak tomatoes
- 4 slices raw red onion
- Butter lettuce
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, soy sauce, sambal oelek, ginger, water chestnuts, cilantro and garlic. Add one-quarter to one-half cup water; this will help the burgers stay nice and moist. Using your hands, squish everything together until they are really well combined.
- Make and cook a little tester patty to be sure that the turkey is really well seasoned. Re-season if needed. If the burger is missing salt add more soy or just give a little sprinkle dink of salt.
- When the burger mix is seasoned appropriately, form the mix into 4 equal size patties.
- Coat the saute pan with new olive oil and bring to a medium-high heat. Place the burgers in the pan. Be sure not to crowd the pan, if you need to work in batches go ahead! Cook the burgers for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Top each burger with tomato, onion and lettuce, and eat em' up!