Tuesday, June 21, 2011
For the Cream Filling:
1 cup Angel Evaporated Filled Milk
3/4 cup water
2 whole eggs
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
For the Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
halved strawberries or red grapes
sliced mangoes or peaches
1.) Combine Angel Evaporated Filled Milk, water, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla and sugar in a heavy bottom saucepan. Cook until thick while stirring continuously. Stir in lemon zest before removing from heat. Set aside to cool.
2.) Mix together graham crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Divide into 6 individual tart molds. Press bottom and sides using a spoon. Allow it to chill in refrigerator.
3.) Pour cream filling into prepared crust. Top with fresh fruit slices. Chill completely before serving.
Makes 8-12 tarts
Monday, June 20, 2011
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 1/2 c water, divided
- 1 can (6 oz) frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced peaches, thawed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 c. red raspberries
- 1/4 c. blueberries
- 1 medium ripe bananas, sliced
Combine sugar, tapioca and 1 1/2 c water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened and clear. Remove from heat.
Stir in orange juice concentrate and rest of the water. Continue stirring until the orange juice concentrate is thawed. Stir in strawberries, peaches, blueberries, and raspberries. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
When ready to serve, add bananas.
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Prep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
In a large saucepan, gently toss the blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, lemon peel and nutmeg. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; pour into crust.
In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla and remaining sugar. Spoon over blueberry mixture. Return pan to baking sheet.
Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 399 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 271 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Blueberry Sour Cream Torte published in Reminisce March/April 2006, p 48
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 carrot, sliced on diagonal into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 1 cup halved horizontally cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces bow-tie pasta or linguini
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 4 basil leavs, torned or 1 tsp dried leaf basil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flake
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter in skillet over medium heat; add chicken. Cook chicken, stirring, until chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon to paper towels. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon butter to skillet; add carrot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, tomatoes and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes longer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- To the skillet add chicken broth, basil, and Parmesan cheese; stir to blend. Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes. Drain pasta well; arrange in a serving dish and top with the chicken and vegetable mixture.