Serve 6 Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
- 8 oz. lean beef (brisket), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small Korean radish (about 1 lb), peeled, cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch square, about 1/4-inch thick
- 10 cups water
- 20 dried anchovy
- 2 pieces of 2 inch square dried kelp (dashima)
- 1-2 Tbsp Guk-ganjang (soysauce for soup)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 daepa or 2 scallions, cut diagonally into thin slice.
- salt and black pepper
- a dash of sesame oil (about 1/4 tsp)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced for garnish
- In a medium pot, pour about 10 cups of water and add the dashima, dried anchovy and bring up the heat to high.
- Remove the dashima when the broth starts to boil, then reduce the heat to medium high and cook the broth 10 more minutes with anchovy.
- Remove the anchovy; add sliced radish into the broth and boil, covered, until the radish turns translucent and soft, about 15 minutes.
- In a mean time, cut the meat into bite size pieces and rinse them with cold water.
- Stir in meats, minced garlic, Gukganjang, cook for another 4-5 minutes;scoop out the brownish foam from the surface of the soup until it gets a clear broth; then taste for salt and pepper, daepa or scallions; cook for a couple of minutes.
- freshly cracked black pepper and a dash of sesame oil at the end and garnish with green onion. serve with a bowl of rice.