Serve 4 Prep: 10 mins Cook: 20 mins
- 1 lb dried spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, cut into thin silvers
- 6 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water before you drain the pasta.
- Mean while, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat.
- Stir in anchovy, if using, break up until melted. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly golden on the edges, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more. Carefully add the reserved pasta-cooking water to the garlic and oil and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and 1 tsp of salt, if you are not using anchovy; then simmer for about 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by about a third.
- Add the pasta and toss. Off the heat, add the parsley and Parmesan, if using and toss well.
- allow the pasta to rest off the heat for 5 minutes for the sauce to be absorbed.
- Taste for seasoning and serve warm with extra Parmesan on the side.