Serve 4 prep: 10 mins Cook: 6 mins
- Large, thick stems from 4 bunches broccoli
- 1 T oil
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diagonally sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 T salt & a pinch of salt to taste
- First cut off the ends of the broccoli stalks, which might be kind of brown if the broccoli has been in the fridge for a while.
- Use a sharp knife to cut away the smaller ribs and leftover pieces of leaves.Then use a sharp vegetable peeler to peel the stems carefully, then cut them into thin julienne strips about 2 inches long.
- Place in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Set aside for 10 minutes to drain, then rinse with cold water and gently squeeze out excess liquid.
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat for one minute, add the oil and heat 10 seconds, then add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Then add the broccoli stems and start to stir-fry.
- Continue to cook the broccoli stems until they are starting to brown but are still crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and Sesame oil, taste to salt: Mix gently and remove from heat.
- Serve hot, garnished with green onions if desired.