Delicious beets add flavor and magnificent scarlet color to any meal. Before cooking, separate greens from beets. Wash beets thoroughly. Beets can be boiled, steamed or baked. After cooking, remove skins and slice. Season to taste. Make Ahead The roasted beets can be refrigerated for up to 2 days
Servings: 6 to 8
For roasting beets:
1 1/2 pounds beets, stems removed and scrubed (3 or 4 tennis ball size)
- Olive oil spray
- a pinch of salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1 Serrano chile, seed and thinly chopped
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
pinch of sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Sprinkle the beets with salt and spray the olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil, leaving a little hole in the top facing up, and set in a roasting pan. Roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 60 to 90 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit until no longer hot to the touch. Rub off skins and discard. Cut beets into wedges.
- Meanwhile, mix together the rest of the olive oil, red onion, Serrano, ginger, cilantro, sugar, and red wine vinegar.
Mix with the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
For seasoning Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 small bunch arugula , tough stems removed, well washed and spun dry
- 1 bunch watercress , tough stems removed, well washed and spun dry
- 1 small head Boston lettuce , well washed, spun dry and torn into bite-sized pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl whisk together oil, the vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the roasted beets, arugula, watercress, and Boston lettuce and toss to combine.