Serve: 8 Prep: 15 mins Cook: 25 mins.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 11/2 tablespoon grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick)
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14-ounce) cans beef broth
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Put 1/2 of the onion in a large bowl and the remainder in another bowl. In the large bowl add the beef, bread crumbs, grill seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and the egg. Mix to combine everything well and form the mixture into 7 or 8 oval patties. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties until they are well browned, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove the steaks and pour off all but 2 tablespoons the fat. (The patties will not be cooked through and will finish cooking in the gravy.)
- Put the pan back on the heat, add the mushrooms with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining onions, sprinkle in the flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the beef broth, and bring it to a boil. Return the patties to the pan, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce has thickened and the steaks are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, to your taste.
- Serve Salisbury Steaks and Mushroom Gravy over hot cooked rice.
Salisbury Steak With Brown Gravy @ Group Recipes