These dumplings are not only low in fat but also loaded with flavors. I got the idea from meat ball. Why Not with dumpling!!! I made them in round shape like meat ball, roll into the flour and kept them in the freezer. This is my husband's favorite soup because he doesn't have feeling of fullness after a meal.
Serve: 25 Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
- 1 lb ground Beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 extra firm tofu (14-16 oz)
- 2 cup kimchi, finely chopped, well-fermented
- 1 bunch bu chu (Korean chives)
- 1 bag bean sprout
- 4-5 soaked Shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (more or less) salt
- optional (*You can substitute kim chi with blanched nappa cabbage.)
- Put 1 cup water in the medium pot, add washed bean sprout; boil 5 minutes then transfer to colander to cool.
- Squeeze tofu using cotton cloth or paper towel and put it into a large bowl; mix with beef, pork, chives, green onions, mushrooms, garlic, ginger.
- Wash kimchi lightly to get rid of spiciness and squeeze the water out. (or if you like it hot, don't wash it.) Chop finely then add to dumpling mixture.
- Squeeze bean sprout; chop finely, add to dumpling mixture.
- Add seasoning & cornstarch, egg; mix all ingredients throughly, using your hands.
- Take a portion of mixture in hand, and roll between palms to form a ball that is firmly packed but not compressed. Repeat, making each meatball about 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Roll into the bed of flour; then put them on the tray (use waxed paper or put some flour on the tray); put into the freezer about 2-3 hours.
- Remove dumpling from the freezer, put each 20 balls in a ziplock (4 serving per batch).
HOW TO MAKE DUMPLING SOUP: (with ready made frozen dumplings. Easy to make!)
Ready made frozen dumplings: 20 for 4 servings
- 6 cups of water and either a can of beef broth or beef stock paste to make beef stock; Boil the soup base and add 1 Tbsp minced garlic & 1 tsp soy sauce. a little bit of salt to taste.
- First Put frozen dumplings dip into the egg and put into the soup.
- Add Rice Ovaletts if you desire (Optional); boil
- Add chopped green onions and 1 tsp sesame oil when beef stock starts to boil. Boil for about 3 to 4 minutes, and check if dumplings are floating.
- Garnish with roasted Nori, ground pepper.