“The roots of the sprouts have lots of asparagine which reduces the acetaldehyde, that is formed after drinking alcohol.” Bean sprout soup is also good for recovering from a cold, because it has lots of vitamin C. I could feel my body getting warmer after having this soup. What is more, it is really cheap to make. (If you buy 1 pack of sprouts which is about $2, you can make soup for 6 people) So it is very popular soup on a regular menu. Also there are so many way to make the soup. Commonly we use an anchovy soup base, but sometimes we use beef or clams for soup base. You can make it spicy by adding Korean red pepper flakes or Kimchi. Also you can season with salt or soy sauce. ** In summer, you can add ice and serve it cool. By the way, don’t confuse these with green bean sprouts (Sukju in Korean). Sometimes I see people confusing with green bean sprouts, instead of bean sprouts (Kongnamul). Read the label right, it looks very similar from the outside.
Serve: 4 Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
- 1/2 bag Bean Sprouts
- 12 large dried anchovies for broth.
- 3 dried kelp 10×10 cm size for broth.
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1tsp or more salt or fish sauce (Three Crabs Brand)
- a couple of drops of sesame seed oil
- 8 cups of water for broth
- Pour the 8 cups of water into the pot and add the kelp and anchovies. Boil it. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In mean time, Rinse the sprouts in cold water and discard any bad beans.
- Remove & discard anchovies & kelp from broth. Then add the sprouts and garlic, salt, and boil it for 3-5 minutes. Add green onions, sesame seed oil, quickly boil once, then turn the heat off.
*The sprouts should still have a crunchy texture.
TIP: If you don't have the anchovy or kelp in handy, you can use a fish sauce instead of anchovy. HOW? : Put the washed bean sprouts in the water, cover and boil.When it starts boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook 7-10 minutes more.Open the cover, add garlic and 1-11/2 Tbsp of fish sauce. Mix well and taste it.If desired, add more salt. Add green onion; quickly boil again and turn the heat off. Serve with Rice and Kimchi.