Serve: 2 Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
- FOR ICHIBAN DASHI
- 4 cup filtered water
- 4 packs or 2 oz. shaved bonito
- 2 or 3 pieces 3" Dashima(dried dashi kombu)
- FOR UDON
- 2 packages of frozen udon noodles
- 4 slices of Japanese fish cake (generally found frozen), sliced
- 2 fried soybean curd (yuboo), sliced
- 2 leaves of crown daisy (Suck-gut)
- 2 green onion, sliced diagonally
- a pinch of roasted noli, julienned
- FOR UDON SOUP
- 4 cup dash
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs Mirin (Sweet Rice Wine)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- wipe dashima with wet cloth and soak into 4cups filtered water 2 hours to over night.
- Bring the water with the dashima slowly to the boil in a medium sized pot, but do not boil. Turn the heat off just before the boil, remove the dashima from the water and add the bonito flakes.
- Turn the heat off and leave the pot uncovered for 20 minutes.
- The bonito flakes fall to the bottom of the pan when the dashi is ready to be strained.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to strain the bonito flakes out of the dashi.
- Reserve plain dashi for use in Udon soup recipes
- Boil water in a medium pot. Place frozen Udon in boiling water and cook 1 minute.
- Drain & rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking. (make sure the noodles are al dente as they will be sitting in a bowl of hot broth and you don't want them to go soggy before you're done eating them).
- Put the dashi, soy sauce, mirin and sugar into a pot and heat until it comes to a simmer. Taste it and add salt if you feel like it needs more.
- Add the noodles to heat through, then divide them into two bowls.
- Top with the fish cake and fried tofu. Pour in the stock and finish by adding the crown daisy, nori and scallions.
I purchased the bonito flavored soup base (Mizkan)
Put 1/2 cup of Mizkan soup base & 4 to 5 cup of water in medium pot and boil.
Add frozen noodle, fish cakes and boil again.
Pour into the bowl & garnish with green onion, roasted Nori.Ready in 5 to 8 minutes! Taste good same as home made Udon! http://www.grouprecipes.com/88111/kake-udon.html