|From Umma Yori|
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 8 oz. button or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage or 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp extra -virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 8 cups dried bread cubes
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add in the onion and celery and let cook until softened but not brown, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and let cook until softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, green onions and seasonings to the pan and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the parsley and the bread cubes to the skillet. Mix well. Moisten the cubes with broth until it is soft but not wet. Remove the bay leaf and let the mixture cool.
- Place stuffing into a greased 13x9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Bake at 375 for about 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden and the stuffing is cooked through. remove and let rest 10 minutes before serving.