|From Umma Yori|
Serve 10 Prep 30 min Cook 2hrs 50 min
- carcass from cooked 15-18 lb turkey
- 3-4 quarts water
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning ( a blend of sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper & nutmeg)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked pearly barley
- 2 cups carrots, peeled, sliced (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 cups celery. chopped, (about 3 medium stalks celery)
- 4 cups cut-up cooked turkey
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped if desired
- Break up turkey carcass to fit 5 quart pot. Add water, salt,pepper, poultry seasoning and bay leaf. Heat to boiling over high heat, reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 1hr 30 minutes.
- Skim off any residue that rises to the surface. Remove bones, meat and bay leaf from the broth; cool. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside. Discard bones and bay leaf.
- Keep the broth over night in the refrigerator. The following day, skim fat from broth; Add turkey meat cut from bones to broth; stir in barley. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrots, onion, celery. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Stir in parsley in desired
Turkey Soup @ Group Recipes