Total hr - Prep:15 min, Cook: 45 min
Yield:4 to 6 servings
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- one 6-oz jar Italian tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cups grated sharp white Cheddar
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), or as needed
- a pinch of paprika (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 370 degrees F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Butter a 2 quart or baking dish
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente according to the package directions (about 1o minutes).
- While the pasta is cooking, dry sauté the mushrooms in a frying pan on medium high heat (no need to add butter or oil, mushrooms will cook in their own juice). When mushrooms have given up their moisture (about 10 minutes), remove from heat and set aside.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and cook, whisking, about 1 minute. Gradually add the milk while whisking constantly, then whisk in the chicken broth. Add dried herbs in the sauce, and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring often. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add Pasta, mushrooms, and tuna, parsley, frozen pea and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and add 1 cup of the Cheddar. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl with a fork combine melted butter and bread crumbs, paprika, set aside.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup Cheddar on top and then topping. Bake until bubbling and golden brown on top, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.