Soft, roasted sweet potato, tender green beans and caramelized onion are coated with a sweet chili, balsamic vinegar and garlic dressing.
Serves 4-6 as a side dish.
- 1 large peeled sweet potato
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into about 10 wedges
- 4 or 5 medium garlic cloves, unpeeled
- about a handful of topped and tailed green beans
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp mild sweet chili sauce (I used Vietnam Rice Paper Sauce:월남쌈소스)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut sweet potato into 1/3 inch slices. Cut slices into bite-sized pieces.
- Place sweet potato slices in a single layer on a large baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil and toss to coat potato with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes. © e
- Add onion and garlic to the tray with the sweet potato. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil and toss everything together. Return tray to oven and cook for a further 20-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and onion has lightly caramelised. Turn vegetables once during cooking.
- Half fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add beans to saucepan and boil for about 3 minutes, until beans are tender but still a bit crisp. Remove from heat and drain. Place beans in a bowl of cold water for 10 seconds to stop the cooking process. Drain and cut into 1.5 inch lengths.
- Squeeze roasted garlic from its skin and place in a small bowl. Mash garlic using a fork. Add balsamic vinegar and chilli sauce to garlic and stir to combine.
- Toss dressing, beans, sweet potato and onion together in a large bowl. Serve salad hot or cold. Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
adapted from © www.exclusivelyfood.com.au